About Me

My photo
Child of God. Husband. Father of four. Pastor.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Few Thoughts on a Sunday Morning in August

Training for Ironman is not usually much fun.
Now two weeks away from race-day, I've officially begun my taper. The next two weeks will be pretty easy--resting legs and mind in preparation for a LONG day in Madison.
Over the last nine months my weekly mileage in each of the three disciplines has increased steadily. For the last three months I've averaged over 10,000 yards in the pool, 150 miles on the bike, and 50 miles on the run. Physically, I've felt very good. Mentally, I've been tired: sick of training, convinced that I'm miserably pedestrian, etc.
Many thanks to my friends Andy Wellman (pushing me hard this winter in the pool), Ben Rowe (who has pulled me along running the Prairie Paths of the western suburbs), and Shane Sterk & Will Misloski (who've ridden many miles on the bike with me many early mornings this summer). And huge thanks to friend/coach/encourager/training partner Steve Spoelhof. What a blessing you all are to me!
I'm also thankful to all the good people of Faith Community Church who have blessed their pastor in his tri-athletic pursuits.
My greatest thanks, however, goes to the five most important people in my life: Julie, Ian, Sophie, Annie, and Isaiah. How I thank God for their encouragement, patience, and long-suffering (Julie being a single-parent and the kids wondering where Daddy is all those long Friday and Saturday mornings).
Now able to rest more, I hope to be writing more.
A quick glimpse of our life this weekend of August 27-28:
Listening to--Over the Rhine;
Watching--Friday Night Lights, season one (Julie);
Reading--Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2010), The Message of Acts by John Stott (Downer's Grove: IVP, 1990), Acts by Jaroslav Pelikan (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2005);
Eating--quinoa, whey protein, Clif Bars, and (of course) toast and cereal;
Excited about--(After) School House Rock! at FCC, the Pearl Izumi store in Barrington;
Troubled about--famine in the horn of Africa, Hurricane Irene.

No comments:

Post a Comment