About Me

My photo
Child of God. Husband. Father of four. Pastor.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bicycling Playlist

We have a rather eclectic playlist at the Else household. The kids seem to prefer the latest offerings from Disney (Jonas Brothers, Lemonade Mouth, and soundtracks from Tangled, HSM, and Tinkerbell), though Ian and Sophie have been conscientious students in our informal School of Rock. Ian can recognize songs from The Beatles, Wilco, U2, and Sufjan Stevens, which of course makes his father very proud.
Soph and Annie seem pretty focused on the latest offerings from Selena Gomez. Julie is on a Stevie Wonder kick. Isaiah enjoys everything, and has become our dancing machine. (Annie and Isaiah have an act where Annie raps [very Debbie Harry] and Isaiah dances...they need to take it on the road.)
Usually, I don't listen to music on the bike, as it is distracting (the very reason why people listen to music on the road, I suppose), and iPods are illegal at races. However, I succumbed to the need for distraction yesterday on the bike. Bicycling is a wonderful sport, and I rejoice in the beauty of nature, simplicity of machine, and exertion of body during a long ride, but there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing." So, I plugged in. Here's my abridged playlist on the bike, Friday, July 15, 2011:
Hello--Oasis (one of my fave Britrock bands, accompanied on playlist by lots of Travis, Pulp, and Coldplay)
Dead Sound--The Raveonettes (in wikipedia under "European Hipsters")
You're a Tourist--Death Cab for Cutie (don't want to like them, but I do)
Halfway Home--TV on the Radio (one of my favorite bands)
Sing--Blur (perhaps my second favorite Britpop band [after Travis])
Summertime Clothes--Animal Collective (weird psychedelic and melodic pop)
Dry the Rain--The Beta Band (one of my favorite songs)
Chicken Payback--The Bees (the kids know the words of this song by heart)
Broken Harpoon--The Jayhawks (from Minnesota)
Where Do I Begin--Chemical Brothers (melodic techno)
Written in Reverse--Spoon (Transference not as good as earlier stuff)
Fireweed--Patrick Watson (best song on poor CD, but his stuff with Cinematic Orchestra is top notch)
Reveal--R.E.M. (wonderful band)
Swingin Party--The Replacements (song always makes me think of Minnesota in summer)
Born Under Punches--Talking Heads ("look at these hands..." creepy)
Lady with the Spinning Head--U2 (best band ever)
Misunderstood--Wilco (second best band ever...okay, maybe that's a stretch)
The Cave--Mumford & Sons (guessing they wear beards)
Helplessness Blues--Fleet Foxes (know they wear beards)
Belgo Zairoise--Zap Mama (great summer song)
Okay, so there you have it. Part of the Travis Else cycling playlist 2011.
Perhaps a bit more substantive blog will be forthcoming. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. My only concern with your playlist is the quantity - that must have been one REALLY long bike ride! You make me proud, bro!

    ReplyDelete